The “Gesellschaft der Freunde des vaterländischen Schul- und Erziehungswesens” (society of the friends of the patriotic school and educational system) was one of the first teacher association (not union) of the world. Founded in Hamburg in 1805 it tried to support its members, mostly teachers, financialy and with vocational education. The society existed until 1933, when she was integrated into the Nazi-organisation for teachers, was founded again after WW II, only to become part of the biggest national teachers union in Germany (GEW) in 1948. The stamp presented her was used at the end of the 1920s, shortly before the rise of the Nazis.
The stamp had a modern style for its time, using simple font and a lot of space. It is worth mentioning that the ink used is red – the same color used by teachers to corrected tests and the like.
The magazine were we found the stamp also included a Ex Libris of the society; something unfortunately rarely seen today.